Wednesday, May 11, 2011


Well, I just finished the first chapter in this book titled Setting The Scene For Success. It was a great chapter actually and here is the little summery I came up with...


  • Don't always focus on just one craft. Think outside of the box, there is a lot out there.

  • Set goals. What are your dreams for your business? What does success look like to you?
  • Have an inspirational place to work.
"my studio is my perfect, lovely, tiny cave. As a little girl, I used to have illustrations of setting up my closet as a reading nook,with just a lamp, a few pillows, and a blanket. Now, my studio is truly a respectably sized closet, and I've filled it with buttons, old photographs, a toy piano, stacks of fabric, and handmade and vintage toys, but it still feels like my childhood closet. It's the coziest place I could be. As far as actually drawing and painting, I drag that all over the place; but my computer work, sewing work, and solitude seeking is done in my tiny nook."
 -Emily Martin

Surround yourself with inspiration and know what conditions work best for you. A great thing to do once you have found a work space is to build an inspiration wire, wall, or even a bulletin board.


    • What you can do when inspiration has skipped town and taken your creativity with her. If you've looked at that inspiration wire for so long that your ready to just yank it down and strangle yourself...the best thing to do is to leave, yes, just simply leave it all behind.  Go for a walk in the woods to clear your head or go window shopping. Look for new color combinations, fun window displays, and jot down everything that catches your eye. Even find people who do similar work as you and check in on what they are doing. Not only will this offer some new inspiration but often times they will have some advice that you may not have thought of yet. Don't ever be afraid to try something new. Other great places to go would be the library and book stores to load up on fresh art magazines and books. A lot of times taking a walk through a craft store will help as well because you never know what you may come across that inspires you to just grab it and make something beautiful. Go to thrift stores and antique shops, keeping your eyes open for vintage fabrics, books, and so on. Even visit flower gardens or that store you've been meaning to go to for months.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    "I am going to make everything around me beautiful. That will be my life."

    Elsie de Wolfe